• Jean-Marc

Fixing a Silicone Mold - Slug Hook

Updated: Mar 4, 2019

When I first sculpted the Slug hook, at the time the antennas were the most important features to get right. They are long and slim, and have a little bump at the end. I never imagined that when it came to molding and casting, they would turn out to be a pain in the ass. I was cold casting with urethane resin and no matter how hard I tried to get a paint brush in the antenna and push the resin into the end, I just could not get all the air out. Result, weak casts and broken antennas.



To fix this problem, I decided to thicken up the antennas. I used two part epoxy putty from Aves (brown). I shed the original look I wanted, and went with something more castable.




The new and improved (left) promotes a better flow of resin then the original (right)

To save time and silicone rubber material, I opted to try and fix the original mold. I sliced the top portion where the slug head and antennas are located and slid in the fixed model of the slug hook. I pinned the mold close and was ready to brush on new layers of silicone! Once finished, I poured a new plaster case and was ready to try it out again.



This time it worked! I still have to make sure I brush in the resin into the antennas, but I get a strong cast every time. Lesson learned, avoid very slim sculpture features!


The Slug Hook, cold cast in Iron. No more defects!


20 views

© 2015 by Jean-Marc Bennett