One of my larger pieces, it was a pleasure to really be able to bring out detail and texture using clay. Having not done too many figure poses lately, this one offered many challenges as almost every part is twisted in some fashion. The original was molded and a few materials were tested, including Winterstone, which is a type of concrete. The version posted here is cast in plaster. A green patina and Sculpt Nouveau wax was applied.
Focus, look ahead to new challenges, to the next obstacle ready to take you down! Canadian winters may hinder mountain biking in some areas, but the craving to go for a shred was redirected into the Biker. There are a lot features I enjoyed on this piece. Two of them being the helmet and bike shoes, as were modeled from my own equipment. It took a while to figure out the stand, but in the end I decided on a 1/4" armature wire bent underneath give the sculpture a bit more speed and weightlessness. This was one the most complicated molds I have made to date. There are so many pockets created by the bike, legs and arms. I had a good sweat cutting the rubber to release the sculpture! Casting was done in small doses, to ensure that the sculpture filled correctly.
This one was inspired by a red piece of rock brought back from Moab, Utah. Even though I've been there a few times, I always dream of going to Utah again. A part of me remains in that desert! I had issues incorporating that rock in the sculpture but having it cold cast in Iron, I was pleased that I could bring out some natural red/orange into the sculpture.
This was based on the very first art cover of Elfquest #1 (1977), which shows Cutter riding Nightshade trying to fend off humans. Chief of the Wolfriders, his sword, NewMoon was machined out of Polycarbonate using a milling machine. I hope to bring more of these characters to life!
Inspired by the travelling show "Cavalia", which features free interactions between humans and horses. This was my first sculpture that included a human. The clothing and the hair were two of my favorite parts of this sculpture.
With a live model present, this portrait was produced in sculpting class with pointers given by Michel Kotansky from the Kotansky school of sculpture. The piece was eventually molded and cast in plaster. I had a little fun with the hair, which I think gives the piece a nice original feel.
Honorable mention! This was my second sculpture and it took foreever! Using Apoxie putty involves a lot of sanding. The RIPPER gun was I had designed in 3D and 3D printed in ABS. The base is designed from the radioactive logo, which is foamcore covered in putty. The dead thing is an Octabrain!